Friday, December 2, 2011

2012 To-Be-Read Pile Challenge (aka more fun with participation)

Hello, fellow readers trapped under a pile of unread books (picture a happier version of 127 Hours, with more reading and less arm amputation).

Yes. Precisely.

Adam over at Roof Beam Reader is hosting this challenge. His entreaty: Read 12 books from ye olde TBR pile in 12 months.

Continuing with my goal to set goals for myself, I hereby officially join the fray. These are the books against which I will do battle in the year 2012 (in no particular order):

1. Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
2. Death Be Not Proud by John Gunther
3. My Antonia by Willa Cather
4. Dracula by Bram Stoker
5. The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
6. The Memoirs of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Theodore Roszak
7. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
8. Blindness by Jose Saramago
9. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
10. Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
11. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
12. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

And here are my two alternates (insurance against potential unreadables lurking in the above list):

1. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
2. The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy

Let the challenge begin (in about a month)!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you're joining us!  And, I must say, I'm loving your list!  You've got some of my favorites on here.  The Picture of Dorian Gray is amazing - have read it three or four times.  Dracula was great, better than I thought it was going to be (although, less horrifying...hm). The Age of Innocence is awesome - and I've got Adventures of Sherlock Holmes on my list, too (did you read the first two novels in the sequence?).  Blindness is one of my favorite contemporary novels and I love both Dostoevsky and Willa Cather... all in all..very excited to see your reviews!

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO excited! Thanks for hosting this shindig. And I'm glad to hear I have some good picks on the list . . . I can't believe I still haven't read most of these. I have read A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four, but it was long enough ago that I could stand to read them again. I have this incredible 1938 copy of The Complete Sherlock Holmes. Maybe I'll reread the first two before January. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarification: I meant to say "I can't believe I still haven't read ANY of these." That's what I get for trying to type a comment and listen to my husband tell me a story at the same time. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also reading The Age of Innocence next year! :-)

    ReplyDelete